There were many accomplishments in FY16 through both individual and collective efforts; too many to list here, but they include:
- Adopting a new PSU Strategic Plan
- Finalizing our joint School of Public Health with OHSU and hiring its founding dean.
- Creating five new academic programs and 10 certificates.
- Completing or making significant progress on 24 reTHINK PSU projects; including advances in advising redesign.
- Working collaboratively through the Interest-Based Bargaining process with our faculty unions, PSUFA and PSU AAUP, to establish collective bargaining agreements.
- Individuals and groups of faculty and staff publishing articles, and receiving grant awards and honors.
- Continuing to improve our campus space with building renovations and expansions.
- Establishing task forces on African-American/Black and Asian/Pacific Islander Student Success.
FY 17 Academic Affairs’ Goals
The Academic Leadership Team has been working on our goals for this coming year. Each major unit within Academic Affairs has identified strategic plan goals and initiatives they will work on. We are in the process of determining their collective impact and what measures we will use to gauge progress and success.
I have also established goals for myself for this year. These include, but are not limited to:
- Continue implementation of the Strategic Plan
- Improve student retention
- Work with the Faculty Senate on their initiatives
- Work with faculty to ensure culturally-relevant curriculum and pedagogy and improve our search process to recruit more diverse faculty candidates.
- Chair the search for our next Vice President for Research and Strategic Partnerships
- Complete our case statements for ideas that will be the cornerstone for our comprehensive campaign
- Further define our research strengths
I will blog on the progress of these goals, so stay tuned throughout the year as I will be seeking your input and assistance on these topics.
Upcoming Fall Events
We know FY17 will be an exciting and busy year, but I draw your attention to the start-of-the-year activities over the next few weeks:
- September 16-23: School-wide and college-wide meetings (date/locations have been sent through your respective schools and colleges).
- September 20: 11:45 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.: New, full-time faculty lunch
- September 20: 1:30 – 2:45 p.m.: New Faculty Resource Fair
- September 21: 3:00 – 6:00 p.m.: University Convocation (Program and Reception)
- September 26: Classes begin
- September 29, Party in the Park, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., PSU Park Blocks
- October 4: 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.: Inaugural ‘Faculty Bring Your Lunch’ Event (details will be sent to faculty soon)
- October 13: 4:00 – 6:00 p.m.: Second Thursday Social Club
Drop-in Sessions with the Provost
I encourage you to stop by my Drop-In Sessions where faculty and staff have the opportunity to ask questions, share information, and exchange ideas.
- October 7, 11:00 – 11:50 a.m., SMSU 258
- November 10, 2:00 – 2:50 p.m., SMSU 258
- December 8, 3:00 – 3:50 p.m., SMSU 258
I look forward to the progress we will collectively make this year to continue to improve the outcomes for our students, staff, faculty and community.
As usual, feel free to post questions or comments below.